Have you ever been searching on Google for a company and you've noticed that there are certain links to other pages within that website. Those links are called sitelinks!
Sitelinks help to draw more attention to your website and make them more noticeable to individuals who are browsing Google for products and services like yours.
But how do you create sitelinks? Can they really help your membership site? In this post, we are going to give you a brief rundown of sitelinks, how they can benefit your membership site, how to get them, and more!
What Exactly Is a Sitelink?
A Google sitelink is a list of sub-pages that show up under your website in a search engine. These links lead to other popular pages on your website. The number of sitelinks under a website can vary.
Keep in mind that virtually anyone with a solid website that has put in the proper work (we'll discuss this later in this post) can obtain Google sitelinks; However, if your site has low traffic or is brand new, then you won't have any sitelinks to display. So the reason you do not have sitelinks is that you don't have enough traffic and clicks to your page to warrant these links.
Do Sitelinks Really Help?
Yes – sitelinks have the potential to do A LOT for your website, including:
- They Make You Look Legit – Just think about a time when you've been on Google, and you've noticed a page with sitelinks – didn't you think a bit more highly of that website? Sitelinks make your website look more trustworthy and credible, and they show that your website gets a significant amount of traffic.
- You Get More Traffic – We all know that the higher on the Google search results you are, the more likely people are to click to your site. Let's be honest, how many people are going to click through to the second page of search results, let alone scroll down the page to look for other options? If you've built up your traffic and have been working on your SEO, then your website is naturally going to climb to the top of the search results. As a result, you are going to earn your sitelinks. These sitelinks take up space, meaning less competition for you and a much higher chance of an individual clicking through to your website!
- Brand Visibility – Thanks to sitelinks, people will be able to see your most significant pages and explore more of your site without really have to dig for anything. And not only that, but they will be able to see more aspects of your business that they may not have paid attention to while exploring the site because they are highlighted for them!
How Much Do Sitelinks Cost?
No, you cannot pay for Google sitelinks, you earn them based on your website traffic and SEO. However, you can pay for advertising on Google! And if you already have sitelinks, you can implement them in your ads.
Can You Edit/Delete Sitelinks?
Unfortunately, you cannot edit your sitelinks, and the only way to remove them is to remove the page altogether or set it to noindex. Sitelinks also cannot be disabled. Just embrace it!
How Can I Get Google Sitelinks?
Again, there is no magic wand you can wave to get sitelinks for your online business' website, but there are a few things you can do to help you get Google's attention and give you sitelinks!
- You have to rank #1 on Google for your brand term
- Your website title has to be unique
- You need an XML sitemap that has been submitted to Google Search Console
- Link to your top pages on your website as much as possible
- Make sure you are actively building brand awareness
Google sitelinks are an excellent asset to have when trying to build a successful membership site; However, don't forget that there is no set way to have a Google sitelink all of a sudden magically. The Google algorithm makes that decision and implements it for us! In the meantime, it is up to you to make sure that you are building your brand and making sure that your website is in tip-top shape, so when the time comes for you to have a sitelink, you'll be more than ready!