In business, marketing and promotion is always an important part of running your business. All kinds of businesses, including membership sites, take advantage of cross-promotion to market more efficiently.
But is it really good for your business? How do you go about starting a cross-promotional partnership? How do you know if your cross-promotional partnership will be beneficial for your business? Luckily we have all the answers you need to make the best of cross-promotion for your membership business!
What is Cross-Promotion?
Simply put, cross-promotion is a marketing tactic where businesses partner with another related business to target customers.
For example, your membership business could partner with a web host, web design business, or WordPress plugin developer to promote their business to your customers on your website, and vice-versa. So, by promoting their businesses on your website, you have now exposed your audience to a new product, and their audience will be exposed to your business. It's a win-win situation!
Advantages of Cross Promotion
- It Works – If done correctly and with the right partner, this tactic can give you great results and sometimes rather quickly.
- It's Affordable – If you have a limited marketing budget, cross-promotion can save your membership business money, because some types of cross-promotion don't cost you anything but your time.
- Less Commitment – Your membership site can test the waters and decide whether or not you'd like to actively implement this into your marketing strategy. If you try and don't like it, you are free to move forward as you please.
- Expanded Customer Base – Because cross-promotion exposes your membership website to your partner's fanbase, you have a much larger base of potential customers to target. And the larger the number of people you can reach, the more opportunities for conversions you have!
Types Of Cross-Promotion
Believe it or not, there are a number of different ways to cross-promote outside of just posting an ad on another business' website.
- Put together a package bundle of each other's products and/or services.
- Plug your partner business' name or services when writing a blog post and giving a talk.
- Write a
guestpost for your partner business' blog.
- Partner with another business to host an event or purchase a vendor booth.
As you can see there are no limits to cross-promotion, so get creative and work with your partner business to find cool ways to promote both of your businesses!
Now that you know a little bit about the world of cross-promotion, we're sure you're ready to dive in, right? Here are a few guidelines on how to make sure you get the most from your efforts!
- Make Sure You and Your Partner are on the Same Page – The most important part of cross-promotion is making sure that both you and your partner business are ready to actively promote each other's products/services, that you both have the audience that each of you are trying to reach and that you both understand the goals and steps each of you need to make to get there.
- Don't Partner With A Competitor – It's never smart to try and cross-promote with a business that is offering the same product/service as your membership site. This arrangement not only could be a waste, since both businesses would have a similar audience, but it could also come back to bite you because you could potentially lose customers in the process!
- Set Clear Goals – As with any of your marketing efforts, be sure to set clear, actionable goals. This way you can track your progress and accurately determine whether or not cross-promotion is working for you.
- Use it as a Learning Experience – Always use any marketing strategy you pursue in your membership site as an opportunity to learn about your business and what works for you. Accepting feedback from your partner, trying things out with other potential partners, and paying attention to the goals you set can help you to better understand what your audience responds to and how to scale your membership business.
There are a number of great opportunities for growth when you use cross-promotion in your membership site's marketing strategy. Keep our tips in mind and you will be off to a great start!
Have you ever tried cross-promotion in your business? What was your experience like?